Denny Hall Clock

Category:
artwork
Description:
Bio:
The cupola atop Denny Hall was constructed in 1895 by Gottlieb Weibell, an old-school craftsman. Mr. Weibell apparently was so pleased with the cupola design that in 1904 he fashioned a 7-foot-high grandfather-type clock to match the cupola. Weibell’s widow gave the clock to the University in 1959, and for many years the clock stood in the entry of Denny Hall.

Later on, the clock was moved to the Burke Museum coffee shop. However, with the Burke Museum renovation, the clock had to be moved. In 1999, Burke Museum staff began negotiation with Libraries staff to have he Denny clock moved to the Suzzallo Library. It now has a safe haven here and can be enjoyed by everyone who enters Suzzallo room 101 (Suzzallo Espresso)..

The portrait of Chief Seattle’s daughter, Princess Angeline, and the picture of a windmill on the sides of the clock were actually affixed over other scenes, apparently pastoral, for reasons probably known only to the artisan. When the cost of maintaining the clock’s complicated works became prohibitive, this curious old timepiece was allowed to run down. After being moved to the Allen Library in 2000, however, a donor paid to have the clock repaired. The clock ceased to work again after a year or so of running perfectly. Then, in the Summer of 2006, the clock was again moved, this time to Suzzallo room 101, Suzzallo Espresso; and again it was repaired and is now in working order.

Denny Hall Clock

Rain City Morphix